We are privileged to live in such an unspoilt and beautiful place, on the fringes of Britain’s first designated National Park. We try to run Heather Cottage in such a way that it had a minimal effect upon our environment, and listed below are some of the practices we adopt to help us do this.
- As farmers, as well as accommodation providers, we are members of FWAG, (farming and wildlife advisory group), and participate in DEFRA’s Environmental Stewardship scheme.
- We support the local economy by using locally sourced produce wherever possible.
- Bottles and cans are re-cycled using the local council’s doorstep collection, and the town collection points.
- Promote local attractions and businesses with an array of information leaflets.
- Where possible we use low energy light bulbs.
- Efficient insulation of lofts/pipes/tanks to reduce heat loss, and conserve energy.
- All electrical appliances are AA rated or above.
- All labour is local.