Dannah Farm Country House Ltd. Environmental Statement.
We are privileged to live in such an unspoilt and beautiful place, on the fringes of Britain’s first designated National Park. We try to run Dannah Farm in such a way that it had a minimal effect upon our environment, and listed below are some of the practices we adopt to help us do this.
- As farmers, as well as accommodation providers, we are members of FWAG, (farming and wildlife advisory group), and participate in DEFRA’s Environmental Stewardship scheme.
- We support the local economy by using locally sourced produce wherever possible. Our sausage and black pudding comes from a family pork butcher in Belper, our bacon and other meat comes from a local farmer/butcher, milk and yoghurt from Peak District Dairies, and so on.
- We bake our own bread, using flour from Caudwells Mill at Rowsley, make all our own cakes and pastries, and use locally sourced free range eggs.
- Bottles and cans are re-cycled using the local council’s doorstep collection, and the town collection points.
- Green waste is composted.
- Inkjet printer cartridges are recycled.
- Encouraging guests to ‘walk from the door’, rather than driving to the ‘honey pots’ to this end we have devised a series of circular walks, copies of which are freely available in the main house.
- Promote local attractions and businesses with an array of information leaflets.
- Use local labour, and encourage car sharing among staff.
- An on-going program to replace all light bulbs with low energy types.
- Thermostatic radiator valves fitted on radiators in guest bedrooms.
- On-going policy of replacing windows with double glazing.
- Efficient insulation of lofts/pipes/tanks to reduce heat loss, and conserve energy.
- ‘A’ rated electrical appliances are purchased to replace older versions whenever possible.
- Encouraging biodiversity in the garden where possible, with minimal use of pesticides, providing nesting boxes and feeders, selective planting to encourage butterflies, leaving dedicated area’s ‘untidied’, etc.
- We are hoping to work towards an environmental quality mark.